Toklo Laminate Floor Underlay Product Profile
3 in 1 Accoustical Underlay
Our revolutionary " SoundChoice ® " laminate floor underlayment smoothes out little sub floor imperfections while quieting impact sound and floor to ceiling noise. Not only does it dampen ambient sound in the room it's installed in, but it also inhibits sound from traveling into the room below. Although it is promoted as an upgrade underlayment taking the place of poly foam, it doesn't carry a heavy upgrade price when compared to cork or rubber. On the other hand, in recent head-to-head Sound Transmission Loss tests, SoundChoice ® outperformed both cork and rubber in the majority of test band frequencies. Certified field sound tests were performed on an installation over a standard concrete sub floor, and received an FIIC score of "60".
• SoundChoice® filaments are randomly air-laid creating a capillary affect to cushion the floor, absorb sound, and help make laminate floors
sound more like real wood.
• Sound Transmission Class (STC) = 66 and 54
• Impact Insulation Class (IIC) = 68 and 60
• Field Impact Insulation Class (F-IIC) = 60
• When installed properly, SoundChoice® can wick sub-floor or incidental perimeter moisture and disperse it through the pad.
• Moderate amounts of moisture will eventually dissipate over time by perimeter or sub-floor evaporation, provided the source of
water such as a leak is stopped. **See below link for video moisture tests
Smoothes out minor sub-floor imperfections
• SoundChoice® is firm enough (density=13.3lbs/ft^3; compression resistance @ 25%=9.5psi) to support the overlaying floor, but flexible
enough to form around sub-floor surface roughness that may otherwise cause laminate panels to “rock” or lay unevenly.
Adds insulation value
• SoundChoice® will add an R-Value of .50 to the floor system.
• SoundChoice® is ideally priced as a quality upgrade from 2 in 1 polyethylene or polystyrene film and is less costly than most froth foam, cork or
rubber underlayments with similar sound numbers.
Made from recycled materials
• SoundChoice® Contains recycled fibers and is certified by SCS
• Passed the most rigorous indoor air quality test (Section 01350), and is SCS - certified Indoor Advantage Gold.
• Makes contribution to LEED® MR Credit 4.1 and 4.2
• Is a CHPS-listed (Collaborative for High Performance Schools) product.
NOTE: All rolls of SoundChoice®100’s are cut to a minimum of 100 square feet. The average thickness of SoundChoice® is .125 of an inch. The average weight of a 100 ft. roll is 13.8 lbs. All rolls of SoundChoice®360’s are cut to a minimum of 360 square feet. The average thickness of SoundChoice® is .125 of an inch. The average weight of a 360 ft. roll is 50 lbs. Due to the nature of our manufacturing process and the use of recycled materials, the pad thickness may vary .02 of an inch plus-or-minus. Actual weight of each roll may also vary 2 lbs., plus-or-minus. While it may appear that one roll is slightly larger than another, we guarantee this slight variance DOES NOT affect the coverage area nor the sound absorption benefits of the product.
SoundChoice® Detailed Photos
SoundChoice 3 in 1 Underlay
- Be sure the subfloor surface is clean and dry.*
- Roll SoundChoice® underlayment over the subfloor with the vapor barrier film (logo imprinted side) facing up to allow the laminate flooring to slide easily over the surface.
- The perimeter edges of SoundChoice® need to be 1/2 to 3/4 inches away from the wall.
- Seams need to be butted together flush, do not overlap the pad. Tape the seams with water and tear resistant, utility-grade, poly-coated cloth backed tape that has a very aggressive adhesive (duct tape).
- Install laminate flooring according to the manufacturers installation instructions.
* In geographic areas where concrete slabs are subject to excessive moisture, a calcium chloride moisture test is recommended. Vapor emission readings in excess of 3 lbs. per 1,000 square feet in 24 hours may require additional protection such as a concrete sealant or polyethylene sheeting.
Floating Wood and Laminate Flooring Underlayment
SoundChoice® underlayment, although it was originally created specifically for laminate flooring, it now is also used under some nail-down and floating hardwood products.
Our revolutionary "SoundChoice®" laminate floor underlayment smoothes out little subfloor imperfections while quieting impact sound and floor to ceiling noise. Not only does it dampen ambient sound in the room it's installed in, but it also inhibits sound from traveling into the room below. Although it is promoted as an upgrade underlayment taking the place of poly foam, it doesn't carry a heavy upgrade price when compared to cork or rubber. On the other hand, in recent head-to-head Sound Transmission Loss tests, SoundChoice® outperformed both cork and rubber in the majority of test band frequencies. Certified field sound tests were performed on an installation over a standard concrete subfloor, and received an FIIC score of "60".
In addition to it's sound deadening benefits, the unique manufacturing process and recycled fiber composition allows it to dissipate moisture; from both below and above, while retaining itt's exceptional compression resistance over the lifetime of the floor.
SoundChoice® is available in 100 square foot do-it-yourself size rolls.
View SoundChoice Moisture Test
Specifications & Test Results
Blended synthetic fibers and polyethylene film. Inert hot-melt adhesive.
20oz/sq yd (2.22oz/sq ft)
@0.125" = 0.52 hr-ft2-degF/Btu (4.19/inch)
Meets or exceeds Federal Flammability Standard: CPSC FF 1-70 (Pill Test)
Passed the most rigorous emissions test: Section 01350 for CHPS and Standard Office.
Sound Transmission Loss. The sound-insulating property of a partition element is expressed in terms of the sound transmission loss. ASTM E90-97, ASTM E413-87 Sound Transmission Class (STC) = 52.
Impact Sound Transmission. The method is designed to measure the impact sound transmission performance of a floor-ceiling assembly in a controlled laboratory environment. ASTM E492-90, ASTM E989-89 Impact Insulation Class (IIC) = 58.
Field Impact Insulation Class. Field conducted test using standard IIC methods. As tested over 8" post-tension concrete sub-floor with no ceiling assembly. (FIIC) = 60.
Compression Resistance @ 25%
Compression Resistance @ 30%
Compression Resistance @ 50%
Compression Set @ 25%
Moisture Absorption Approx. 650% by weight
Moisture Statement. SoundChoice® will absorb and allow dispersion throughout the product of water moisture in accumulations not exceeding one gallon per 24 hrs per 300 square feet of product and/or allowed to continue to accumulate for more than 7 days. Actual in-house tests have shown results up to 5 times that amount.
2 in 1 Underlay
DuoFoam with Self Seal is an underlayment that combines PolyFoam to low or high density polyethylene film to create a vapor / moisture resistant floor. DuoFoam with Self Seal can be used over concrete slabs, or other surfaces that may damage flooring due to moisture content. DuoFoam with Self Seal is a stronger underlament that offers all the benefits of PolyFoam.
For a quick and easy installation, DuoFoam with Self Seal has an overlap of film on one edge, with a peel and stick tape strip along the other, making it a very user-friendly underlayment that reduces installation time. DuoFoam with Self Seal is available with film on both the top and bottom of the underlayment, for twice the amount of protection.
DuoFoam Detailed Photo
DuoFoam 2 in 1 Underlay
|© Copyright 2006 MP global products L.L.C