Deck Railings – “How Much Do I Order”?
The first thing to do is lay out the detailed dimensions of your deck, whether it is a replacement railing or still to be built. Some simple graph paper will definitely help.
Here is a railing layout worksheet that will definitely help.
In basic terms,
- add up the lineal feet of railing
- starting at one corner of the deck, measure out the position of the deck posts making sure the placement balances with the dimensions. ( not 3’ at one end and then 6’ at the other end)
- determine the quantities and types of posts you will need whether end posts, mid-posts, corner posts, or even the 135 degree post. Add to the shopping cart.
- Now look to the spacing measurement and determine what quantity and lengths of railing sections work best, 6’ up to 14’, they can be cut so if you have 5’ sections then the 10 railing section will work. Add these to the shopping cart.
- Determine what type of pickets you like and then order the number of sections you will need, they come with spacers. Add these to the shopping cart.
- Then just to finish add base caps, and you have the basic requirements covered.
For stairs, the posts and rails are a different size and therefore consider these separately. For gates, these are a max of 4’ wide, but can be adjusted for width and come with all fasteners to attach to the posts.
If you want to use glass, the maximum post spacing is 5’ and remember to order the glazing strip accessory, this fits into the channel to hold the glass pane. (the glass is shipped within a frame and is well protected).
A note on accessories
we have universal, wall and post brackets if you will be attaching railing at an angle, or to a wall, or to a bracket in an unusual manner. Please read the installation instructions carefully.