If done correctly, hardwood floors are very easy to clean and maintain. Following proper steps will help ensure that your floors last for many years to come. Here are some important tips to follow when it comes to cleaning your hardwood floors:
- For the day-to-day cleaning of your hardwood floors, use a soft, fine bristle broom to sweep up dirt and grit.
- You can also vacuum your hardwood floors a couple times a week. Use a soft brush as an attachment.
- Prevent debris from coming onto your hardwood floor by placing mats and rugs at all entrances.
- Rugs should also be used to cover high-traffic areas; move them periodically if exposed to regular sunlight to ensure the UV rays don’t unevenly fade or change the color of the wood and/or stain.
- Avoid water and remember that moisture should not come in contact with the floor. Water can damage hardwood, causing irreversible problems like staining, cupping, and buckling.
- Wipe up spills immediately with a lightly dampened cloth, then follow up with a recommended cleaning product. If liquids are allowed to sit on the floor, they can seep into the wood, causing the finish to split and your floors to warp. While it may be possible for hardwood to be installed in areas like laundry rooms and kitchens, extra care must be taken for any spills that may occur.
- Oil soaps should not be used as they can leave a residue on the floor. Neutral pH based wood floor cleaners can be used when cleaning hardwood floors. Make sure you dry the floors right away.
Along with these tips, it’s always best to follow the specific manufacturer recommendations for your hardwood floor.What steps do you take to keep your floors looking like new?
Click here to take a look at our online selection of timeless hardwood flooring. Discover the right look for your next renovation.