Safety Guidelines for DIY Flooring Projects
Before any work on a DIY project can begin, there are certain safety guidelines to consider and follow throughout the duration of the project.
- Wear safety goggles.
- Unplug any power tools when making adjustments and when not in use.
- Make sure all power tools are grounded.
- Check the power cord placement to make sure it doesn’t get in the way of using the tool.
- Use ear plugs to protect the ears from the loud noises generated by equipment use.
- Keep hair, jewelry, and other loose objects out of the way of all tools.
- Use a face mask when using any chemicals that produce toxic fumes, sawing or sanding, to keep from breathing in the dust.
- Make sure all areas are properly ventilated with the use of fans and open windows.
- Keep heat away from adhesives.
- When dealing with solvents, use rubber gloves to protect the hands.
- Use the right tool for the job; never use a tool for something other than its intended purpose or fashion a tool out of other materials.
- Be sure to keep all edges sharp, because dull blades may cause the use of too much force which in turn may cause them to slip and result in injury.
- Since wood dust can ignite, it is important to seal off all vents and electrical outlets for the duration of the project. It is also important to shut off all pilot lights.
- Be careful when storing oily cloths, because these may spontaneously combust.
- Take all necessary precautions. Never skimp on safety to cut the budget or time it takes to finish a project.
Review Some of Our DIY Guides
If you’re looking to take on a DIY floor repair project, we’ve gathered all of our resources in one place. Be it tile, laminate or hardwood, we have the step-by-step instructions to help you fix knicks, scratches, cracks and water damage… Read More
If you are looking to take on a kitchen renovation, it may seem as overwhelming as it is exciting. We have rounded up all of our kitchen reno tips and tricks in one place you so you can be prepared as possible. From flooring to countertops and beyond, you’re sure to find the information you need… Read More
While the process of installing wall tile is basically the same as installing floor tile, there are a few considerations to take into account when putting tile on a wall. Here are some helpful tips for wall tile installation that’ll have your DIY project looking like a pro did it… Read More