Travertine is a form of limestone with unique porous veins that give the milled tile their beauty. The stone is found in a wide variety of natural colors, and four different finishes may be applied to individual tiles. Travertine has long been used in many of the most beautiful buildings in the world. Today, in addition to being an excellent flooring material, travertine tiles may also be used as pavers, countertops, stair treads, columns, sinks, and even bathtubs.
Italian travertine and marble is generally perceived to be of the highest quality because the quarries and manufacturing centers are well established. Turkey has a large amount of travertine and is home to many of the most skilled quarries in the world. Brazilian travertine is thought to be of a lower quality, followed by the stone quarried in Mexico, mostly due to the lower quality of workmanship.
Natural stone derived from limestone, such as travertine, is perceived to be a luxury item and is used in residential and commercial spaces to achieve a visual effect that communicates success, good taste, and affluence. However, because the stone is porous, the possibility of staining is present. This has led to the overall perception that travertine is a luxurious surface that lacks practicality. Fortunately, modern methods of milling and sealing the stone make staining much less worrisome leaving one with simply the aspect of luxury.
- Travertine provides a durable surface with a proven history of longevity.
- Travertine provides additional structural strength to property.
- The natural travertine colors and patterns vary from surface to surface making each installment unique.
- Natural stone increases the resale value of properties.
- Travertine instills a sense of pride in ownership, because of its authenticity.
- Flooring – Travertine can be used in entrances, hallways, foyers, as well as living spaces.
- Wall Cladding – Travertine can be used in exterior and interior spaces.
- Shower Stalls
Check Out These Resources
Are you looking for flooring with a unique pattern? We have put together a number of informative resources to help you decide if travertine flooring is right for you. Tile flooring is one of the most durable available, so making the right decision is critical.
Types – Learn about the different types of travertine
Buying Guide – Learn how to make an informed travertine tile purchase decision
Installation Guide – Learn how to install travertine tile
Cleaning & Care – Find out how easy it is to care for a travertine floor
Glossary – Familiarize yourself with common travertine tile terms