Concrete and stone are go-to materials when it comes to outdoor spaces like walkways, garden pathways, pool areas and decks. Of course, wood is no slouch either, and lots of people choose to use natural or engineered wood for pathways and decking. What if there was a durable option that was even more stylish though? That’s exactly what you’ll get with porcelain pavers for your outdoor areas. Made to stand the test of time in high-traffic areas and wet spaces, porcelain pavers are a top-tier choice if you want serious style and longevity without compromise.
Use this guide to learn more about using porcelain pavers when building or upgrading your outdoor spaces. They could be the perfect pick for your home.
Porcelain Pavers are Made to Last
Outdoor decks, areas around your pool and even exterior dining spaces can take a ton of abuse from your family, friends, pets and kids. That doesn’t take the weather and natural elements into account either. These can quickly batter lesser materials and make them look much worse for wear. With porcelain is a material that can outlast even concrete and some types of natural stone. Porcelain pavers don’t require a ton of maintenance either, even in wet areas and climates with relatively extreme weather.
Combine that long-term durability with the luxurious look of porcelain and you’ve got a recipe for an awe-inspiring outdoor space.
Where Can I Use Porcelain Pavers?
Excellent for a range of outdoor spaces, porcelain pavers are a versatile option for your home. Here are some of the places you can use porcelain pavers.
Walkways & Garden Paths
Porcelain adds a sophisticated touch to home entry paths, walkways to your back door or patio and garden areas. Porcelain pavers can be recessed into lawn areas, gravel or laid directly on grass. Long-term strength means you can keep your porcelain pavers in outdoor spaces for a long time without worrying about damage.
Available in lots of different designs, including styles that mimic materials like natural hardwood, you’ll get tons of aesthetic options to choose from when you go with porcelain pavers for your patio area. Refined porcelain is a great choice for patio areas where you want to host barbecues, dinner parties or cocktail parties.
Around the Pool
Moisture resistant and sturdy, porcelain provides a sophisticated look near your pool. Smaller tiles can be naturally slip resistant, while larger tiles can be easily treated to be safe under-foot. You can find pool coping to match your porcelain pavers for a more refined look as well.
Porcelain Pavers are Life Resistant
Strong, durable outdoor materials like natural stone and concrete are sturdy and capable of standing up to inclement weather. Porcelain pavers have a few advantages that your more common materials don’t though. One big advantage is that porcelain resists practically every problem that could impact your outdoor pavers.
- Porcelain pavers are moisture resistant, making them a smart choice for pool areas and wet spaces. Porcelain will also stand up to rain and snow.
- Frost is no match for porcelain. Unlike some materials, low temperatures and frost aren’t a problem for porcelain. This makes porcelain pavers a great option for cold climates where ultra-low temperatures can wreak havoc on your outdoor spaces in the fall and winter months.
- Stains won’t stick to porcelain. Porcelain’s natural stain resistant properties make it an excellent choice for busy family spaces where food, beverages and chlorine from swimming pools can take their toll. Glazed porcelain performs even better when it comes to overall stain resistance.
- Porcelain won’t catch on fire. While fire isn’t a huge concern in some backyards, it’s important to note that porcelain won’t catch on fire. That means more protection for your home since having porcelain pavers can help reduce the spread of a fire. This can be very valuable if you live in a fire-prone area.
Pro Tip: Want even stronger porcelain pavers for your outdoor spaces? Look for glazed porcelain. It provides an extra layer of durability and protection against outdoor problems like moisture, frost, stains and fire.
You Can Find Lots of Different Looks
Strong path, patio and pool area materials matter, but you can’t give up good looks in the process. Porcelain pavers come in tons of different looks so you can find the style that really speaks to your ideal design aesthetic.
Here are a few tips for choosing the right option for your outdoor space:
- Choose your size. Porcelain pavers are available in a range of different paver sizes, from smaller 8″ x 8″ options to larger 12″ x 24″ and 24″ x 48″ styles.
- Find your ideal look. Porcelain pavers come in neutral designs, printed and patterned looks and designs that mimic common materials like marble. With these, you get the look of materials like natural stone with all of the benefits of porcelain.
- Layer your look by choosing multiple paver types to create a patterned design. Alternating tiles or adding depth via different colors can make your outdoor spaces exciting and truly designer-inspired.
Porcelain is durable, elegant and available in lots of different looks. There are a few main considerations to keep in mind before choosing porcelain pavers for your outdoor path, garden walkway, patio or pool area. Here are a few key things to keep in mind.
Porcelain pavers are typically more expensive than other common materials like concrete and stone pavers. For small spaces, this may not be a major consideration, but for bigger areas, your costs can add up quickly. Initial cost is typically offset by the fact that they last a very long time and are easy to clean and care for.
Porcelain is a very heavy material, which can be a concern if you’re installing it on a deck. Take time to ensure that the structure below can support the weight of porcelain pavers before installation.
Porcelain is heavy, dense and relatively hard to cut. For this reason, do-it-yourself installation is generally not recommended unless you have the tools required and considerable experience. Paying professionals to do your installation will raise your overall costs, but in the end, you’ll have an outdoor space that’s strong, durable and made to last for years to come.
Pro Tip: Interlocking pavers can be easier to install if your dead-set on a DIY installation. You’ll still need tools, basic experience and ample time to get the job done correctly though.
Bring your outdoor spaces to life and create elegant patio, deck and poolside areas where you can spend time with friends, family and neighbors all year round. Outdoor porcelain is the perfect pick if you’re looking for high style, long-term durability and easy daily care.
Ready to start your outdoor update or building project? Reach out to the trained professionals on our team today to find the right materials for the job. We can direct you to porcelain pavers that fit your budget and aesthetic so you can get started ASAP. We’ve even got a range of indoor porcelain tile options that can help you create gorgeous, flowing transitions from indoor spaces to outdoor areas.